Cooking the toor daal
- Pressure cook the toor daal along with haldi and water for 3 to 4 whistles (or till the daal reaches a mash-able consistency).
- Turn off the heat and let the pressure escape on its own.
- Open the lid and mash the daal with a ladle.
- Heat oil or ghee in a kadhai.
- Add jeera (cumin seeds) and mustard seeds. Wait till they pop and crackle.
- Add haldi (turmeric powder) and hing (asafoetida) and stir.
- Add curry leaves and green chilli.
- Now add the cooked toor daal and stir well.
- Add water to get the required consistency
- Add goda masala, jaggery, coconut, kokum or tamarind juice and salt. (For using tamarind in place of kokum, add the tamarind to two tablespoons of hot water and keep aside for 15 mins. Then extract the juice by squeezing the pulp, and add to the daal.)
- Let the daal simmer for 5 minutes.
Finally, garnish with coriander leaves.
Amti pairs incredibly well with hot steamed rice garnished with ghee. Enjoy a comforting meal!