Rohtasgarh: A Bastion in Bihar
thumbnail image
/system/files/styles/webp/private/2025-08/Rohtasgarh-1.png.webp?itok=L1QIokAP, /system/files/styles/webp/private/2025-08/Rohtasgarh-7.png.webp?itok=wnpQueJi, /system/files/styles/webp/private/2025-08/Rohtasgarh-6.png.webp?itok=1YnXAX79, /system/files/styles/webp/private/2025-08/Rohtasgarh-5.png.webp?itok=vAaXj-h8, /system/files/styles/webp/private/2025-08/Rohtasgarh-4.png.webp?itok=NRX6_Cdp, /system/files/styles/webp/private/2025-08/Rohtasgarh-3.png.webp?itok=apXNfnU4, /system/files/styles/webp/private/2025-08/Rohtasgarh-2.png.webp?itok=cFar75BPthumbnail image 1
/system/files/styles/webp/private/2025-08/Rohtasgarh-1.png.webp?itok=L1QIokAPbody
Rohtasgarh: A Bastion in Bihar
In the Rohtas district of Bihar, the steep slopes of the Kaimur Hills are crowned by an impressive medieval construction known as Rohtasgarh or the Rohtas Fort. Overlooking the winding Son river, Rohtasgarh has a history full of twists and turns.

HISTORY
According to local traditions, the name Rohtas is derived from Prince Rohitashwa or Lohitashwa, the son of the legendary king Harishchandra. Harishchandra is mentioned in the Puranas as a king of the solar race. Various groups claim that the area was theirs in ancient times. Local tribes such as the Kharwas assert that like Rohitashwa, they too descended from the solar lineage (Suryavanshi) and thus originally possessed this land. Others like the Oraons believe that Rohtasgarh belonged to their chief and was wrested away from them on the night of a festival- when all the men were intoxicated and unable to fight. The Cheros state that the territory belonged to them before they ventured forth to conquer Palamu.
A 7th century rock inscription at Rohtasgarh mentions a ruler called Sasankadeva, who may have been the Gauda king Sasanka. The Phulwari inscription of 1169 CE suggests that the fort was under the possession of Pratapadhavala, the Chief of the Khayaravala dynasty. This dynasty controlled the region of Japila (now located in the Palamu district of Jharkhand) and acted as Nayakas or feudatories, possibly under the Gahadavala dynasty. A 1223 CE inscription near one of the entrances of the fort mentions the excavation of a well during the reign of Sri-Pratapa, a descendent of Pratapadhavala.
Around 1538 CE, Sher Shah Suri took over Rohtasgarh. After crushing the Sur Empire in 1556 CE, the Mughals seized control. During the reign of Akbar (r. 1556 – 1605), Raja Man Singh was appointed as the Subahdar of Bengal. Man Singh chose Rohtasgarh as his capital and built a splendid palace within the fort. After Man Singh’s death, the fort was attached to the office of the Wazir (Prime Minister) and was supervised by a fort commander.
Before rebelling against the Mughal emperor Jahangir in 1621 CE, Prince Khurram sent his family to Rohtasgarh to ensure their safety. Following the decline of the Mughals, the Nawabs of Bengal held the fort. In 1763 CE, Nawab Mir Kasim, who was embroiled in a relentless battle with the East India Company, used Rohtasgarh as a safe haven for his family. He sent his wife, children, and seventeen hundred other women, along with considerable treasure to the fort. However, after the Nawab’s defeat at the Battle of Buxar (1764 CE), the Begum left the area and the fort was surrendered to the British.
The British destroyed the military stores of the fort and ultimately abandoned it. During the First War of Independence in 1857 CE, the revolutionary leader Amar Singh occupied the surrounding area with his followers and hoped to use the fort as a rallying point. Thus, the British were forced to station a garrison of 250 men at the fort. Following a number of violent confrontations, the British managed to retain the fort.
ARCHITECTURE
Rohtasgarh is largely built in the Mughal style of architecture that prevailed under Akbar, with some elements of Rajput design. This architectural style is considered rare in the region of Bihar. Consisting of an irregular medley of buildings, the fort has two main gates. The formidable Kathauliya Darwaza is guarded by a large stone bastion and surrounded by a deep ditch. Above the arched entrance of this gate are inscriptions in Sanskrit and Persian. The Sanskrit record mentions the completion of the gate’s construction in 1607 CE. The name of the builder is recorded as Raja Man Singh in the Persian engraving.

The second main entrance is called the Lal Darwaza. This well-preserved red gate bears an inscription mentioning Sri-Pratapa. A large, quadrangular courtyard occupies the western side of the fort. Beyond this courtyard lies the largest and most striking part of the fort- the palace complex or administrative unit. The entrance to this complex is flanked by two carved elephants and is known as Hathiya Pol or the Elephant Gate.

The buildings within the complex include a picturesque two-storeyed structure called the Baradari. The roof of the main chamber inside is hemispherical at the centre with pointed semi-domes at the ends. Other features of the building include arched windows, a pillared verandah, and projecting balconied windows.

Next to the Baradari is a building with a sizeable hall that may have been used for various state functions. Scholars have compared the architecture of this building to the Diwan-i-Aam or hall of public audience at Fatehpur Sikri, suggesting that this may be the Diwan-i-Aam of Rohtasgarh. Locally, the monument is known as Nach Ghar.
At the centre of the palace is the Aina Mahal that was once surrounded by a Persian garden. This building consists of a square, vaulted chamber with small rooms at each corner and verandahs on all sides. The chief wife of Raja Man Singh is said to have resided here. A narrow corridor links the Mahal to the king’s quarters in the Darbar Hall.

The Darbar Hall is a four-storeyed building that contains some of the finest rooms in the fort. The lowest floor contains a long gallery that opens into chambers and rooms on either side. The second storey consists of a flat-roofed, open gallery with four massive pillars and beautifully carved brackets. A magnificent hall called the Throne Room lies beyond the gallery. All the interior walls on this level were once brightly painted in panels of red, yellow, and blue.

Another notable structure is the Phool Mahal. The palace boasts of a lofty terrace, a large hall, a gallery and several underground chambers. The palace walls are covered with decorative niches adorned with geometrical and floral designs. The centre of the hall may have housed a fountain or jet in the past. Scholars suggest that this hall may have served as Man Singh’s Diwan-i-Khas or private audience hall.
In 1543, a mosque called Jami Masjid was built near the fort by Haibat Khan- a general under Sher Shah Suri. Constructed with white sandstone, this mosque consists of three domes with a minaret each. The mausoleum of Habsh Khan, the superintendent of works under Sher Shah, is also situated in the fort’s vicinity.
A number of ancient temples are located close to the fort. The Rohtas Temple sits atop a small hill and can be reached by climbing a flight of 84 stairs. Known locally as the Chaurasan Temple, this building contains a Shiva lingam. The Mughal emperor Aurangzeb (r. 1658 CE – 1707 CE) is believed to have destroyed the image of Rohitashwa that was once worshipped inside the temple. The Temple of Haris hchandra and a Ganesh temple are also situated nearby.
